Monday, July 24, 2017

Blind Contour Yearbook Friends

Last week, Tammy of Daisy Yellow did a live stream on Instagram, demonstrating blind contour portraiture on index cards. I was subsequently inspired to do a few of these portraits myself using my old friends from Hughes High School's Class of '25 as subjects of my wonky portrait play. I actually do blind contour drawing almost every year with my middle school students as a drawing warm-up/"getting to know each other" game and it always generates smiles and giggles. However, I forget to do these myself so I was grateful to Tammy for the reminder to relax and get silly. 

These are in a Stillman & Birn hardcover Beta sketchbook; I finally finished Volume 1 of Sparks of Madness so it's time to start Volume 2! I drew from the reference photos (mostly without peeking,) colored with Tombow markers, and then added a few more details with a fine point technical pen.

Quick, fun, and betcha can't do just one!

3 comments:

iHanna said...

I saw that too, and thought it looked fun to do, and then watercolor. Love how you work in a series and return to the same subject like this, they're fab. I hope you're enjoying summer a bit too?

Take care.

Anonymous said...

These look like so much fun! I've done a bit of blind contour drawing, but never really moved into finishing them. Great idea to try.
-Ellie

Loulou in Texas said...

These are terrific! I'm glad to see that you are working with your Yearbook Friends again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...